In The Classroom
The Science Department curriculum offers students of varying talents, abilities and interest the choice to concentrate on a specific field of scientific study. The typical science classroom extends beyond the walls of Seton High School and into the local community so students can apply critical thinking and reasoning skills to solving local, real-world problems. Our instructors combine hands-on investigation and laboratory experiences to help students develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary to engage in the scientific process. In addition to studying terminology, functions, and processes, students are routinely engaged in collaboration and discussion to aid the process of discovery.
In many of the classes, Seton High School partners with The University of Cincinnati and local non-profit organizations to ensure that students develop the knowledge and skills required in college and careers. Many of our graduates go on to explore fields in Environmental Science, Biomedical Engineering, and Healthcare.
To fulfill diploma requirements, 3 units of credit must be accumulated. Please see our Course Description & Academic Policy for course descriptions.
All of the Science Department courses fulfill graduation requirements however certain elective courses give students additional options to tailor their learning.
- Environmental Science
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
Advanced Placement and Early College Credit (Dual Enrollment) Offerings
- AP Biology. This course prepares students to take and pass the AP Biology exam and is an excellent opportunity for students wishing to pursue careers in Biological Sciences, Ecology, and Healthcare.
- AP Physics. This course prepares students to take and pass the AP Physics exam and is an excellent opportunity for students wishing to pursue careers in the fields of Science, Math, Technology, and Engineering.
- AP Chemistry. This course prepares students to take and pass the AP Chemistry exam and is an excellent opportunity for students wishing to pursue careers in the fields of Chemistry, Pharmacology, and Healthcare.
Both AP Biology and AP Chemistry are also available for early college credit through our strong partnership with Mount Saint Joseph University. Please visit AP & Early College Credit (Dual Enrollment) for details and to see a complete listing of both AP and Early College Credit Courses available.
Science Department Activities and Clubs
- Community Gardens – Through partnership with Price Hill Will, The Civic Garden Center, Keep Cincinnati Beautiful, and the University of Cincinnati, students have a unique interdisciplinary learning environment right across the street.
- Field Trips – Annual field trips to the Mill Creek, Beacon Orthopaedics, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC), and the University of Cincinnati give students valuable networking opportunities and a chance to see how fields in science operate in the world around them.
- The INTERalliance of the Greater Cincinnati Chapter at Seton High School offers the opportunity for students to take leadership roles in a STEM organization. Membership in the Chapter allows students to apply for exclusive internships and compete in the TechOlympics in February. The mission of INTERalliance is to engineer and execute experiences design to inspire young talent to pursue a career in the Greater Cincinnati IT industry.
- Science Club – Students explore careers in science and engage in recycling and conservation efforts through school-wide and community activities.